Bio/Resume




Kira Woodfield Leeper

I am in my tenth year of studying the Oboe. I love everything Oboe and English Horn and I also play the piano.  I am from Carrollton, Texas (a northern suburb of Dallas). I graduated high school from Hebron High School in 2010. Hebron's band program was a 2010 Midwest finalist, 2010 Texas State Honor Band and took 2nd in the 2012 5A State Marching Band Contest. Currently, I am studying Music Performance at Brigham Young University and am about to complete my Junior year. I am a member of IDRS and an active conference attendee. Thanks for visiting my site! Here you can find my resume and learn more about me! I am currently looking to expand my studio in the Utah Valley Area. Information can be found via the links on the right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I have studied with:
Dr. Angela Nicole Schindler
Sally Bohls (Bio: http://cmsnband.org/instructors.htm)
Dr. Geralyn Giovanetti (Bio: http://cfacweb.byu.edu/directory/giovanetti)


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attended/participated in master classes/Lessons with:
James Ryon- Professor of Oboe at University of North Texas - 2010
Mark Ostich- Professor of Oboe at Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music - 2010
Nancy King- Professor of Oboe at University of Michigan - 2010
Linda Strommen- Professor of Oboe at Indiana University - 2011
Martin Schuring- Professor of Oboe at Arizona State University - 2012
David Cowley- Principal Oboist in BBC National Orchestra of Wales - 2012
Marlen Vavriková – Professor at Grand Valley State Univeristy – 2013

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pit Orchestra Gigs:
Thoroughly Modern Millie 2010
Peter Pan the Musical 2011
Cosi fan tutte 2012
Phantom of the Opera 2013

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Music Related Jobs:

Camp Intern for Bocal Majority's and Operation O.B.O.E. ( http://www.bocalmajority.com/ )
Here I assisted in reed making classes, coached chamber groups, mentored young players and help clinicians at a summer camp for Oboist and Bassoonists. They started in Texas but now hold sessions in several states across the US in the summer. They also host guest artists, concerts and masterclasses in the DFW, Texas area.

Research Assistant in the Harold B. Lee Library at BYU

Here I worked as a research assistant in the Music Special Collections department of my University's Library. I do a lot of work with preservation of materials, cataloging and helping patrons who want to use our special collections

Research Assistant to Musicologist and BYU Professor David Day

In the summer of 2012 I packed my bags and moved to Belgium to work for a musicologist named David Day. Along with 4 other students we worked to help him do research to complete his online database of opera and ballet scores. This database will allow musicians, musicologist and normal civilians everywhere to have access to collections found in archives all over the world. Here I worked with identifying copyists, taking inventory of collections and pictures of the opera and ballet collection in the city archives of Brussels, Belgium.

Here are the scans of the materials we worked with:  http://archive.org/details/byubrusselsoperaballet
Here is the blog we update regarding our research: http://lib.byu.edu/sites/obps

Reed Maker for Bocal Majority's Online Store (http://www.bocalmajority.com/category/store/)
Here I worked to make reeds every week to be part of the stock that Bocal Majority pulls from when people order reeds off of their website. I also sell reeds on my own and charge $10/reed.

Soloist
I have also been hired as a soloist to play in church orchestras and programs in the DFW area and Nebo School Districts "Wintertide Concert" in Salem Utah (upcoming December 2013).

Masterclasses
I currently work with the Lehi Junior High School Obosist.

Timpanogos Symphony Orchestra
Principal & 2nd for spring 2013 concert series
http://thetso.org/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awards:

2010 Alternate on English Horn for the Texas State Honor Band
2010 Region and Area Principal English Hornist
2010 Texas State Solo Contest Winner
2011-2013 Brigham Young University Music Performance Scholarship Recipient

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------