Oboe Reed Nativity

There's been some recent interest in a creation of mine from a few years ago, the reed nativity!

This was made as a gift for my mom who collects nativities. She is always looking for "unique nativities" and since I'm always at a lost for what to get her I made her this gem. My husband drew the lego like faces on the reeds and it's charm is just hilarious. I don't necessarily plan on making more of them but would be willing to discuss the possibility with anyone interested. E-mail with inquiries, or make your own!

About the nativity:

The back drop is made of tubes I split and guillotined then stained. All of the nativity " characters" are just blanks I made out of bad cane that was too wide or imperfect to be real reeds (none of them seal).  I wrapped the angel in golden EH wire instead of thread, and I tried to wrap each character in a color appropriate to their role. Mary's head covering is plumbers tape (used for leaky reeds), and Baby Jesus is a EH reed so that he's smaller. The "stable" floor is made of scraps I collected from shaping and gouging my real reeds for weeks. The manger is also a few scraps I hot glued together. I also used the scraps for the shepherds "staff". It was a fun little project and a little ridiculous. The case I put it in was just a model car display case from Hobby Lobby!!  If you're home making reeds and doing all of the steps it'd be easy to collect the pieces and make your own!


(click image to enlarge)